For today’s short post I decided to post up a list of books I read during 2012. There’s couple ones that are Finnish so disregard those – after the list I’ll go through some of the best reads in more detail. So here goes:
1. George Leonard – Mastery *****
2. Claes Andresson – Luova mieli ***
3. Tea Del Alma Silvestre – Attract and Feed a Hungry Crowd: How Thinking Like a Chef Can Help You Build a Solid Business **
4. Danny Iny & Sean Platt – How to Build a Blog ***
5. Joshua Fields Millburn – Falling While Sitting Down ***
6. Paulo Coelho – The Alchemist *****
7. Gary Vaynerchuk – Crush It! ****
8. Chetz Togom – Suddenly I See ***
9. Guy Kawasaki – What The Plus! ***
10. David Allen – Getting Things Done ****
11. Eckhart Tolle – Power of Now *****
12. Eckhart Tolle – Practicing the Power of Now ***
13. Randy Ingemarsson & Joku – The Fifth Man ****
14. Eckhart Tolle – Stillness Speaks ****
15. Mary DeMuth – The 11 Secrets to Getting Published ***
Alright so let’s go through them briefly. Behind every title there’s my star rating for each of them – I consider five star books masterpieces, ones that everyone should read, I’d even go as far as to say they are worth multiple reads.
As for four star books, they are all excellent reads as well, but just don’t consider them something that you would have value coming back to time and time again. Three star books are decent, and I don’t have bad things to say about them – less stars gets too mediocre to even bother. So let’s go over the five star books in further detail.
George Leonard – Mastery
This book caused a whole bunch of consciousness shifts in me and also resonated very true in a deep way for me. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to achieve mastery in something. It teaches you the right frame of mind in which to approach skill accumulation. Absolutely brilliant book and one I certainly will read again.
Paulo Coelho – The Alchemist
I saw this being favorite book of many people I admire so I started to read it and in similar fashion to Mastery it resonated with me a lot. But contrary to Mastery, this is actually a fiction book, other of the two I read this year (for someone identifying primarily as a fiction writer I read way too little fiction). But inside its story the book has pretty much keys to satisfying life and they way story is told really shakes you awake. I think everyone should hands down read this – it is a bestseller so many indeed have read it, which is good cause books with this kind of message aren’t common enough.
Eckhart Tolle – Power of Now
Another bestseller on the list. Tolle might be a little bit too “woo-woo” for some people but what he says, no matter how weird he phrases it, resonates very true for me and makes perfect sense. Also, I listened to this book (and all of Tolle’s stuff) as an audiobook. The guy’s voice calms and brings of present like nothing else… and it’s also incredibly effective sleep medicine. Seriously, if I got money every time I fell asleep while listening to his soothing voice, I’d have no problems making the Japan trip now.
Which is exactly what I’m going to push to you at this point – it’s still early days for my IndieGoGo-campaign and I seriously need some contributions. Don’t hesitate to do that!
And check out some of these books if you haven’t, they are really great reads!
Please do share the best books you read in 2012 in the comments!